Tuesday 19 February 2013

Paella

I am so looking forward to returning to Barcelona in a week's time that I had to make one of the Spanish Classics, Paella, today, just to keep the excitement at bay.
It's actually not difficult to make at all and can be varied in many many ways to suit your taste buds.


My version includes Chicken, Prawns, Scallops and of course Chorizo. But I would happily use Rabbit and some Clams or Mussels as well.
I also added a few extra vegetables just to keep the calories low and the healthy high.

Here are my ingredients for 6 portions (10 Weightwatchers Points each):

300g Paella Rice
1 small Chicken
100g Chorizo, halved then sliced
100g raw shelled Prawns
80g mini Scallops
a handful of frozen Peas
a small bunch of Asparagus, cut into 1 inch length
a handful of Sugar snap peas
1 red Pepper, roughly chopped
1 red Onion, diced
2 garlic Cloves, sliced
a pinch of Saffron
a scattering of chopped parsley
1 Lemon cut into 6 wedges for garnish

Here is what I did with the Chicken. To make good use of the whole bird I first used the good meat for the dish, which I carefully cut off the chicken and then cut into largish chunks. The skin and bones I made into the Stock, with which I then cooked the Paella. Once ready I infused the Saffron in the Stock to give it a lovely color.


In a large pan fry the Chicken Pieces in a little olive oil, then remove them onto a plate. Next the Chorizo, Red Pepper, Onion and Garlic go in and everything get's tossed and sizzles for a little while. Measure the 300g of rice in a Measuring jug, so you know how much volume of stock to add. It takes about 1 1/2 times as much stock as rice. Which works out about 350ml ish.


So now the rice goes in with a little stir to absorb flavor and color, before the Chicken pieces rejoin the pan and 2/3 of the hot stock. If the stock is seasoned nicely then there is no need for extra salt. The Chorizo also helps  to flavor the Paella. Bring to a simmer, then cover and turn the heat to low.
After about 10 minutes gently stir in the green vegetables and the rest of the hot Stock. After 5 more minutes scatter the seafood on top, or better still place it decoratively.
Cover again and after 5 more minutes turn off the heat and leave the Paella to sit for yet another 5 minutes.
Arrange the Lemon Wedges around the side, sprinkle with the Parsley and serve in the Pan to your delighted guests.


I want to apologise for the lack of quality of my pictures. I cannot find my Camera cable, since moving house, so I'm using my Phone camera, which isn't my perfect idea of Photography. But it'll have to do until my cable is found.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...