Wednesday 20 February 2013

Boston Clam Chowder

Just one of many Chowders, but this one must be a favorite for me. First discovered when I went to Faneuil Hall, a buzzing Marketplace in Boston, where it was served in a delicious Sourdough Bread Bowl.
Here is the picture I took then, with Didi, my traveling rubber Dragon.


I have made a version of Chowder before and called it Brighton Clam Chowder as it had some extra ingredients that would not be authentic. But today I am sticking to the basic recipe. 
Potatoes, Clams, Clam Juice, Broth, Cream and Onions. No more. 
Ok, if you want you can add Bacon, Celery and  Parsley, but that's it.

The ingredients: (serves 2 @ 5 WeightWatchers Points each)
300g Floury Potatoes, diced small
1 white Onion, diced
1 small tin of Chopped Clams in Clam Juice
250ml Chicken Broth
a pinch of Nutmeg, Salt and White Pepper
1 tbs thick Cream (I use the low fat variety)


Sautee the Onion in a suitable cooking pot until translucent. Add the Potatoes and the Clam Juice and top with Chicken Broth until just covered. Simmer on a low heat with a lid for about 20 minutes until the Potatoes are soft, really soft, so soft they fall apart when stirred.
Sir in the chopped Clams and Cream and season to taste with a pinch of Salt, White Pepper and a grating of fresh Nutmeg.


To serve you'll need those little dry and cardboard like crackers. Actually you won't need those, they add nothing to this lovely dish. But if you can get hold of the Sourdough Bread Bowl, then I envy you! They are fantastic and I love them. I only have a plain old China bowl for my chowder, but nonetheless I can't wait to tuck in!



I couldn't resist adding a bit of greenery at the end, though maybe a sprinkling of Parsley would have been the ideal garnish.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...